Designing A New Branch Office
Housing Development Board (HDB) provides affordable housing to 85% of Singaporeans. HDB is an international award-winning government agency and one of the leading examples of successful public housing globally. Awaken Group has journeyed with HDB since 2010 on multiple Transformation Design projects using interventions including consulting/design, capability building, speaking and facilitation.
As Singapore celebrates 50 years of independence, The Housing Development Board (HDB) has been instrumental in creating an iconic landscape - a landscape that has been much lauded by public housing planners and international organizations worldwide. Without forgetting the citizens they serve, HDB embarked on a journey to create the ideal “Branch Office of the Future.”
How might we design a beautiful branch office experience for staff and customers that is future ready?
- To design a beautiful new Branch Office experience to serve as a model for future branch offices
- To provide holistic solutions across physical space, processes, staff engagement, communications and technology
- To empower the management and staff to co-create solutions to increase buy-in
- Facilitated a 5-6 month long experience design consultancy project where the underlying needs of staff and customers were translated into creative solutions through a 5-step Design Thinking framework
- Journeyed with the HDB Project team to create a vision for the ideal experience, identify ideas and prototype potential solutions with 7 walkthroughs of actual mock-ups of the layout, 10 HDB staff and almost 30 real customers
- Developed design guidelines as well as strategies for replicating and transitioning the new experience for future branches
- Worked in creative collaboration with our partners Ong&Ong who then designed the physical office while our team at Awaken Group trained the staff on service engagement
- Opened the new Punggol Branch Office in Singapore in 2012 & won rave reviews from the public for its user-centricity
- 100% of HDB participants believed their organisation and customers were positively impacted by the training
- Recommended solutions were implemented such as service ambassadors and electronic noticeboards and rolled out to other HDB branch offices
- HDB beat eight government agencies to win an award for service innovation in the international FutureGov Awards in 2014
- Award-winning initiatives for service innovation were featured extensively in mainstream media such as Straits Times, Channel News Asia and Business Times