Developing Innovative Values-Driven Government Leaders
Civil Service College (CSC) Singapore is a college for government employees in Singapore. It is a statutory board under the Public Service Division, Prime Minister’s Office, of the Government of Singapore. CSC is the central learning institution for the Singapore Public Service and plays a pivotal role in partnering government ministries and agencies to develop people for a first class public service (source: website). Awaken Group has journeyed with Civil Service College since 2011 on multiple Transformation Design projects using interventions including consulting, leadership development, capability building, and facilitation.
As high potentials in the public service, it is critical for government scholars to develop personal leadership styles based on core values and a strong sense of empathy for the people they serve. That is exactly what the Civil Service College Singapore (CSC) aims to cultivate. As part of a key milestone program, we were brought in to design a program to develop capabilities around innovation and values-based leadership for high potential government scholars.
How might we raise consciousness of high potential government scholars on what it means to lead with empathy and creativity?
- To introduce concepts of values-based leadership and leading with empathy
- To build capabilities on using design thinking as an innovative problem solving tool
- Designed a community project-based hybrid course of workshops plus group coaching check-ins with teams over 5 months, consisting of a 3-day Leadership and Design Thinking course to set foundations and equip participants with tools to address real challenges in a creative and empathetic way
- Facilitated workshops and coaching sessions for 11 teams (appx. 60 participants) who were each assigned to different community organisations to help solve real challenges throughout the 5-month program
- Hosted a 1-day final presentation where particpants presented their solutions to the management of the 11 community organisations they worked together with
- Over the course of 5 months, particpants experienced strong emotional connections and many breakthrough moments
- Several subsequent projects were awarded with CSC to build internal capabilities and improve overall curriculum design and delivery
Here's what our client has to say
“Design thinking helped to provide a framework to rigorously analyse all aspects of a problem and to come up with a solution that seeks to address the root cause of the problem.”
“Community work requires us to be empathy driven and guided, not banded by, policy logic.”