Designing a “Home Away From Home” Lounge Experience
Google “Singapore Airlines” and you would come across glowing reviews from travellers and SIA-travel-hopefuls. The emminent national carrier Singapore Airlines is globally renowned for its excellent customer service in the airline industry. Yet in the face of increased competition, they realized the on-the-ground lounge experience is just as important as their legendary in-flight experience – and a consistent experience is needed to stay as the world's most preferred airline. Along with our architecture partners, we were engaged to redesign the Krisflyer lounge experience as part of a $20 million-plus investment program.
How can we design a stellar lounge experience?
- To bring the superior Singapore Airlines on-flight experience to the lounge for its customers and staff
- To design a signature lounge experience across various customer groups to be rolled out globally
Supported our Creative Collaborators, Ong&Ong, in the design of the new signature lounge experience over 4-months based on our 5-step Design Thinking framework
- Journey included facilitation of vision sessions with CEO and management team through an experiential dinner experience, over 90 interviews and 100 hours of lounge observations, as well as staff and management engagement
- Created a new strategy for how to differentiate customers using personas
- Designed operating guidelines to ensure sustainability for executing lounge experience including staff roles, service engagement strategies and operational guidelines while partners executed design of physical spaces
- New SilverKris Lounge unveiled in Sydney in 2013
- New design concept to be progressively introduced to all of SIA’s SilverKris Lounges in 15 cities at an estimated cost of around $100 million
- With the new “home away from home” concept, lounge customers can look forward to distinct personal spaces, greater personalised services, and a delectable selection of food and beverages