Designing a New Housing Experience
Housing Development Board (HDB) provides affordable housing to 85% of Singaporeans. HDB is an international award-winning government agency and one of the leading examples of successful public housing globally. Awaken Group has journeyed with HDB since 2010 on multiple Transformation Design projects using interventions including consulting/design, capability building, speaking and facilitation.
As Singapore celebrates 50 years of independence, HDB has been instrumental in creating an iconic landscape - a landscape that has been much lauded by public housing planners and international organizations worldwide. Recognizing the need deliver an even better staff and resident experience, we continued our journey with HDB to design a holistic and integrated user experience for HDB Resale and SERS staff and residents.
How can we redesign the user experience for residents and staff during the Resale and SERS journey at HDB?
- To deliver an integrated and relational resident experience
- To improve the overall resident journey
- To enhance staff engagement at HDB over the next 5 years
- Immersed in a 4-month long consultancy project where we discovered the needs of residents and staff using a rich mix of methods, including staff and resident interviews, resident and staff shadowing, space workshops, “training taster” sessions and Prototype sessions
- Crafted holistic experiences based on HDB management’s objectives, the underlying needs of staff and residents, as well as resident personas
- Identified unique scenarios to pinpoint staff training gaps as a part of our capability initiatives
- Collaborated with architecture firm Ong & Ong to redesign HDB interior spaces to transform workflow for Resale & Sers
- Recommendations on space design to be taken on board during Phase 2 Schematic & Detailed Design
- Immediate establishment of ownership for community engagement activities
- Management team to involve staff as co-facilitators in upcoming staff capability building workshops